Also known as Ava, Inwa is located 20 kilometers southwest of Mandalay across the Myitnge River and was the capital of the Myanmar kingdom for nearly 400 years. All the major buildings that were not destroyed during the earthquake of 1838 were transferred first to Amarapura and then to Mandalay when the capital moved. Only the 27-metre-high (90 feet) masonry Nan Myint watchtower, also known as the “learning tower of Ava” remains of the palace built by King Bagyidaw. The Bargaya teak monastery, famous for its 267 wooden pillars, can also still be seen.
Other Popular Tourist Destinations
Visitors to Bagan often make the 40-kilometre trip south to visit Salay, an ancient town…View Detail
Mandalay is the second-largest city in Myanmar and situated in the hot and dry central region…View Detail
Sagaing lies 21 kilometers southwest of Mandalay on the west bank of the…View Detail